Candy

This is a monologue I wrote for drama class that I'm actually very proud of.  Our class actually got to have a school assembly where we got to go up and perform some stuff and I actually got to perform this monologue.  I guess you could say it was my first monologue that I performed to an actual audience.  This is the first draft of it, when I performed it some stuff was changed and added but this is really it.



Light Up

(Loralei is sitting on the floor eating candy)

Loralei: (Drinks water and licks fingers) Have you ever realized how sad the plants are?  Like, maybe a long time ago, before humans existed, they were much better.  But then we came along and made them (eats other candy).  Have you ever realized how, after you wrinkle up a piece of paper, it can never unwrinkle ever again?  (Crumples up a piece of paper).  (Drinks more water).  Have you ever realized how awful you are?  Oh my god, you were so stubborn.  You had terrible anger issues as well.  I mean, I can’t blame you.  If I had to grow through all that, it would probably turn me bitter as well.  Actually, wait no, I did grow up like that…..and I am bitter.  I’m bitter because you’re the reason why I’m bitter.  You know?  I still remember the day it all happened.  You should have seen your face.  You were so sad and bitter.  It made me happy.  Because for the first time ever, I finally saw you with emotion on your face other than disgust and anger.  (Long break as she eats another candy).  We should do this more often.  It’s really satisfying.  God, I hate you so much.  Have I ever told you about that?  (Eating more) Makayla’s really sad now.  Makayla’s also stupid.  (mumbles) Just like mom.  Have I ever told you about how ugly you are?  Think of how ugly Makayla is, but 10 times worse.  Honestly, if that girl wasn’t rich, nobody would love her. Except you.  It was like you two were made for each other.  You guys are both ugly inside and (drinks water and eats more candy).  You know how some important person will be saying something important and then afterwards people will be like “that part when they talked about how sorry they felt for the kids in Africa, that wasn’t part of the speech, they improved that whole part” and how everyone starts praising them for going off-topic and talking about their true feelings.  Stupid.  If people cared so much about how you don’t stick to the script, I should be getting a standing ovation right now.  (Unflattens paper from earlier).  I can always count on you to (crumples up paper and leaves it there as she walks away)

(Pauses and goes back to the piece of paper and starts backing up to throw it at something)

Comments

Popular Posts